We decided a little over a month ago that if we could find the "perfect dog for our family" we would open our house up to having a pet. Anyone who has talked to me over the last four years knows that this decision was totally orchestrated by God because there was literally nothing in me that wanted to bring a pet into my world at this point in my life. I am actually not sure what changed, I just saw how much my kids loved any animal they came in contact with and I knew that Allan had always wanted a dog, and something snapped in my brain that I was being kind of selfish saying no.
Anyway...we decided that we would try and go through the DFW Lab Rescue and were a little shocked at how intense they were (long application, home visits, going to meet and greets, having one on one play dates with potential dogs, and still having to get the approval of the dog's foster family). We found a dog we were really interested in, but the foster parent was really hard to work with and we started to get a little discouraged.
Out of the blue we were introduced to a guy who fosters for the local Pyrenees Rescue and he just happened to have a 4 year old female that was half lab and half Pyrenees that he raved about. We met her last Monday and by Thursday she was ours. We are the proud owners of Lily the HUGE dog that met every single piece of criteria we had for a pet...she is totally house broken, doesn't jump or bark or lick, she knows basic commands (sit, lay down), she doesn't chew, she isn't hyper, and she has only jumped on the furniture once, but as soon as we told her no she got down and never tried it again. She is definitely a little skittish when the kids are loud and she has become my shadow always laying at my feet. I am sure she will get more and more comfortable as time goes by.
We are totally falling in love with her. I have no doubt that we made the right decision in getting a dog. Welcome to the family Lily!!

6 comments:
She sounds perfect for you guys- that's awesome! I bet it is so much fun watching sweet Claire and Jacob with her...how fun!
I can't wait to meet her ... any chance we can come by this week and greet the new member?
I cannot begin to tell you how smart you were to adopt a grown, well trained dog. The puppy stage nearly sent me to the nut house. I think if we were to ever get another dog we would do what you did. She looks like a perfect addition to your home.
I am so happy it all worked out. Now, knowing ppl with dogs, you know it won't be all roses. But, wouldn't trade 'em for the world...most days! =)
What a beautiful dog, and such a fun element to add to your already beautiful family!
So glad you did this and, in particular, that you got to meet Lily the dog. She is blessed to have you guys for her family.
Post a Comment