Saturday, January 9, 2010

Five Years


photo chosen by Allan

Yesterday Allan and I celebrated five years of marriage. I am so blessed to be married to a supportive, loving, faithful, Godly man that is one of my best friends.

On our date last night we talked through the last five years and the highs and lows of what we have been through. It was interesting for both of us to hear the others perspective. Here are the labels we gave to the years and very general explanations:
  1. A Fun Blur (Newlyweds, lived in CA, traveled, made great friends)
  2. Transition (Moved three times, had a baby)
  3. Blah (Sleepless)
  4. Turned A Corner (Started sleeping, got pregnant again, plugged in a bit more in our community)
  5. Coming Into Our Own (Figured out how to be married AND parents, building good friendships, had a baby)
I watched part of our wedding video yesterday and it was so encouraging and convicting to listen to our wedding vows again. They are promises that I was honored to make on our wedding day. There are some that I need to work on and some that I am proud to say I have stayed true to over the last five years. If you have a wedding video I encourage you to go back and listen to the promises you made to your spouse on your wedding day and see how you are doing.

My Wedding Vows to Allan on January 8, 2005

I Emily take you Allan as my beloved husband.
To have you and hold you.
To love you and honor you.
To treasure you.
To stand beside you in good times and in bad.
To give thanks for you and to serve you.
You are the one I choose to be with forever; from now until the end of my life.
I choose now to take this journey with you wherever it may lead.
I trust you with my whole heart.
I offer myself to you as your wife today, tomorrow, and always.


6 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love your vows ... those are beautiful. And you're right - it's good to look back and remember what promises we made, especially during the less-than-sunny times.

I thought I deserved at least a mention - something like 'The Randi Years'. ;)

Happy Anniversary!

Sara said...

Great post!!! Happy anniversary again! So sorry that I didn't talk to you on your special day! What kind of sister am I?! I love your summaries of each year, I love that you typed out your vows on your blog, and I'm inspired to go back and look at our video. I love you both!!!

Allison said...

Happy Anniversary!

Hannah said...

Cute picture and happy anniversary! Glad we are getting to be apart of your 5th year of marriage! =)And hopfully more then just that year!

Mama Jeannie said...

Precious reminder of promises we, as wives, made to our husbands whether five years ago or 40. We're all a work in progress, aren't we Em? I love you and I love how comitted you and Allan are to love, honor, treasure and serve one another. God bless you Baby Doll.

Kate said...

Congrats on 5 years! What an accomplishment!