Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hawaii 2010- Playing

Lana'i is a very remote island with not a ton to do which is actually really nice for a week. I loved the slower pace for a bit. We entertained the kids in the room with toys and videos, spent an afternoon at the Kid's Club at the hotel, there was a lot of time spent splashing in the pool, and a few hours at the beach. It was fun to get creative with all of the kids and play hard with no other distractions.

The hotel had an amazing Kid's Club that we spent one afternoon at. The kids started a craft that George and I had to finish (surprise, surprise). They had a comfy TV room that all the kids and some of the adults relaxed in for an hour. Jacob enjoyed the outdoor toys, especially the tubes and balls. It was a nice break from our hotel room. I think that all the parents are looking forward to the day we can drop the kids off for an hour two when they are a little older...can you say Mai Tai by the pool sans kids ;)

The pool was a crowd pleaser almost every day. Jacob has always been fearless around the water which is a little terrifying, but also pretty fun, we have to be on top of him the entire time. He started jumping from the side and would have done it for hours on end if the catchers had as much stamina as he did. One day he entertained the other hotel guests by climbing out of the pool doing a little dance then squealing at the top of his lungs as he belly flopped into the pool. He did this over and over and seemed to know that he was putting on a show, it was HILARIOUS! Claire gained more and more confidence everyday we were at the pool. It was so fun to watch her get comfortable with doing jumps off the side. She perfected her cannonball and even made up a few jumps of her own- the dolphin, doggie, and fairy jumps were a few of my favorites. She swam across the pool unassisted many times and had so much fun with the freedom of knowing how to swim. We all loved pool time!!

The beach...I don't think that this little Kavalich family will ever be beach lovers. We went out there a couple of times and had a decent time, but our first choice was always the pool. Jacob ate an ungodly amount of sand and never seemed to figure out that he didn't HAVE to shovel it in at rapid speeds no matter how many times we told him no and washed his mouth out. The highlight of the few hours we spent at the beach was definitely paddle boarding. I LOVED it once I got the hang of it. It is actually incredibly hard to do. Allan took Claire and our niece, Anna, out on a paddle ride which they all really enjoyed too. I was bummed that I never got a chance to swim with the dolphins this trip, they only came in three of the days we were there and I was on nap duty every time so I couldn't leave the hotel. They were amazing to watch through the binoculars, there were hundreds of them.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Mama Jeannie said...

Swimming with dolphins! Exciting to think about and kinda scary too I would think. Sorry you were on nap duty... kind of. :0)