(recreation of our family in the closet, there were four other people in there during the tornado)
Where we spent the rest of our night once the electricity was off...it was HOT!! This picture cracks me up, we look so WT.
First of all I have to say a huge thank you to my sister for getting the first pictures of Jacob out so that you all could see our beautiful boy. We are in love (more on him to come later).
The night before the induction we had big plans. We let Claire take a later nap so that she would have the energy and the good attitude needed to get through a nice cookout at the house, a family walk to the park, and a little craft time to make some welcome signs for her baby brother. I personally still needed to pack for the hospital and get a good night of sleep. We sat down for dinner at about 6:30 when all heck broke loose. The sky turned black, the wind picked up, and tornado sirens went off. We turned on the news to see if was a false alarm and they were saying that a tornado was fixing to hit our town. At that moment the electricity went off and we made mad dash for the closet under the stairs. The vacuum cleaner and suitcases were tossed and we crammed Allan, Claire, both of my in laws, my sister and her daughter, and my very pregnant self into a not so big closet for about fifteen or so minutes. While we were in there we heard a noise that sounded like a nonhuman scream outside and we began praying. That is right folks a true blue tornado bounced off of our neighbors roof, over our house, and came down again just behind our fence. Our home was spared, we just lost a fence and our electricity for many hours.
We had no electricity the rest of our time at home. That means that we were in a dark home with no electricity..remember all those great plans we had for our last night as a family of three? They were shot. I had to pack by candlelight. Everyone ended up in our bedroom because it was the coolest room in the house (the AC was out) and Claire was full of energy so she watched a DVD on the portable player and jumped on our bed for hours. She slept with Allan and I through the rest of the storms and I took my final Ambien to try and sleep through the heat and visitor in our bed. It made for quite the adventure and a fun memory.
**The next few posts will be about the big day and the immediate days that followed.
4 comments:
I guess you could say baby Jacob came in with a bang!
A BIG BANG!!!! Oh my! What a memory for Jacob's baby book. So thankful you all are all right and that you have your house.
Way to go - I can't believe you're back to blogging!
Your pre-baby night was crazy and so memorable ... you'll have a story to tell Jacob when he's older. (and I'm still chuckling over the fact that you hadn't yet packed mere hours before the big event!)
That was a crazy day. All I was thinking is, "Emily is going to have a kid tomorrow, I hope they can make it to the hospital!" And you did and he's perfect!
Post a Comment