Monday, February 2, 2009

Signing My Baby Girl Up


I headed over to a local church this morning to sign my baby girl up for Mother's Day Out which starts in the fall. When I told her we were going to see her school she got really excited and said that she needed to take toys to share with her friends at school. She loaded up a couple of baskets of her best toys and we were off. I told her that we were going to see her friends (whoever they may be), but she insisted and who am I to discourage sharing her best things.


We got to the church thirty minutes before sign up began and I was kind of thinking that we had a really slim chance of getting her signed up for anything other than the waiting list. Thankfully we were #5 to get there and she took the 21st spot out of 28 positions in the upcoming three year old class. We walked around and saw her future class, met the lady that will be her music teacher, and looked at the playground. As we were getting back in the car she said "I love my new school, it is so fun". I hope she still feels that way in a few months when I leave her for five hours twice a week. Although I think that if she thought sitting beside me while I filled out paperwork and walked around looking in empty classrooms was fun, it will blow her mind when she gets to do all the fun things they have planned for her.


The thought of my baby girl starting "school" is bittersweet, but I guess bittersweet moments come with the mommy territory. I was not even sad until I held my baby girl in my arms as she fell asleep at naptime today. I cannot believe we are heading into this next stage of life. I love my girl and I am looking forward to the next chapter in our relationship. She will ALWAYS be my baby girl even when she is sixty three. I ask her everyday if she will always cuddle me even when I am old and gray and she says yes. She even says she pinkie promises. I will hold her to it.

5 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That is bittersweet. But fun too. She'll have so many adventures. I love her pinkie promise to keep cuddling you.

Mama Jeannie said...

Love this post! How sweet. I hope she really will cuddle you when she's sixty-three and all the years in between. Claire will have such a great time at school next year.

Lori said...

If you haven't seen it yet, you should check out the book "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch. The best line reads, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, and as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

Leanna said...

She will have a blast and learn so much. And it will give you some very special Jacob time that the two of you will cherish!

Sara said...

I love the picture in my mind of her holding you when she's 63, and you're 90 or whatever! =) Two old ladies! =)