Monday, March 23, 2009
Your Kidding Right?!?!?
I had a bit of a crazy reality check this morning at the OB. When my appointment was over he said "I will see you in two weeks". What the flippin heck?!?!? Two weeks that means that this pregnancy is almost over. I mean not really almost, but almost. That is a big step in the pregnancy journey and I was not mentally prepared. I have had moments today of being excited that we are at that point and moments where I feel totally overwhelmed. I was processing this information on the phone with my sister, Amy, and I think it was a bit of comic relief for her. At one point I said "how am I going to do this" her response "you just will, like everybody else". That sounds easy enough and I know that it is true, I am no different than anyone else that has had a kid, or two, or five. The God honest truth is that I am totally aware that this baby is inside me, but have not really thought much past the did he move enough today part of pregnancy. The truth is he has to come out and come home with me and become a real part of our little family and that is cool and crazy and terrifying all at the same time. I will just do it, just like a ton of women before me, and I will survive and hopefully thrive as a mother of two kiddos....WOW!!! Life is amazing. Let the preparation begin...I guess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I love Amy's response :) You will just get through taking it one day at a time :) Can you believe he will be here in less than 3 months? Craziness :)
~Elyse~
This makes me laugh.....I was totally in the same boat! I waited and waited for Addi and then when I was in the hospital I just wanted to go home and wait longer :) But Amy is right...you just do it...and it is great!
Oh man....I remember that day...my doctor said, "see you in two weeks!" ...I was like....um, what? I can totally relate. You will do great! It's just like Amy said. I won't lie...it's harder at first. Then, once you get adjusted it will be like he's always been there. :)
I think everyone feels that way, regardless of how many kids they have. The leap from one to two is probably the biggest though. You'll realize the first day that it just comes ... there are good days and bad days, just like with one. It's so neat to have more than one though - there's nothing that compares to watching siblings. I'm so excited for you!
We're in the same boat, girl...only I've a few days to come to grips...
I do find myself having to slow down and enjoy what I can of this pregnancy--especially baby movement--it's just gone by so fast!
In moments like our phone conversation today I think I picture you like the little brown-eyed, pig-tail-wearing cutie that you were 25 years ago... and somehow I am still this 35 year old woman that I am right now. (That doesn't seem quite fair. :) )Does that make any sense? I hope you know that I remember the, "Oh my gosh! What have I done?!?... What am I going to do?!? feelings that you are having. They are real and they are big. I just want you to know that most people that have more than one baby have had those same feelings (you are not alone), and all of us have made it through (YOU ARE NOT ALONE!). Like you could not have imagined the love that you have for Claire and the wonderful life that you have because of her, you cannot imagine the wonderful life you will have with Jacob. You don't have to know know *how* you are going to do this (there really is no understandable answer for that), you just have to know that you *can*. Not only can you do it - you can succeed at it and love doing it. It is going to be better than you can imagine. It is not one huge step... it is just a ton of little baby steps to a new and improved life with 2 kids! You don't have to know how to do anything except how to faith-fully take the next step. You will do great. I love you!
I love this post. I had a bit of a similar experience last night. James and I were laying in bed and he had his hand on my belly to feel the baby. When she stopped kicking, James said, "Thanks for bearing my child." He went on to say it had just occurred to him how much I had to give up -- even space in my own body -- to do that for him, and he said he'd never complain about going to work again.
At first, I thought he was really deep and really considerate. I was quite impressed. Then he continued and said, "I mean, as if pregnancy wasn't difficult enough, they're going to have to get that baby out of you sometime. They're going to cut open your gut and your uterus and PULL her OUT." That was my What have I done?! moment.
As for you, I know you'll be great. I think sweet Jacob will just slip right into your daily lives and you won't even remember what life was like without him. And as for preparation, you're far more prepared than you're giving yourself credit for. Pretty much everything is ready for him to come home -- we don't even have a name yet! Hang in there...
Em, you will continue being the awesome mommy/wife that you are. I believe in you baby doll. Certainly there will be adjustments, but you'll make those one moment/day at a time and you'll end up having the time of your life. Look at it this way, all you really have to do is be more creative going to the grocery store. :0)
How exciting!
I remember those feelings before having #2. Glad you had your sister to comfort you.
Jacob will be the best addition to your family. And, you're giving Claire the best gift of all-- a sibling!
Post a Comment