Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Welcome Home- I am Learning

We have been home for just over a week, these are the pictures from our arrival. As always our families celebrated the newest family addition in style. There were balloons and signs everywhere, beautiful flowers, a yummy cake, and of course a lot of love and cuddles.
I was so nervous about bringing home a second kiddo. I didn't always feel too in control when it was just me and Claire hanging out and now I have a whole other person to keep alive and well...how would I accomplish that goal?!?!? We are twelve days in to having our sweet baby boy in our family and I think that we are surviving. We have had a lot of help so far. Allan's mom stayed for the first week and my mom is here this week both of these women have done a fantastic job keeping the house straight and the laundry finished. I have been the primary caretaker of Claire and Jacob and I feel like I will survive (or should I say they will survive). I am learning to nurse a baby with arm and cuddle a toddler with the other. I am learning to function on little to no sleep and do so with a happy heart, patience is something I have started praying for multiple times a day. I am learning to pick the battles that come with an almost three year old, sometimes a girl just needs to have M&Ms even though she has had no fruit or veggies in about three meals and for that matter every meal has been cereal. I am learning to lay my baby boy down for naps and to nap while he does even if it is just for fifteen minutes. I am learning flexibility.

I will soon be completely on my own and although I am still not sure how I will keep my house clean and raise two children that are both VERY needy I know that I will put my children first and that we will thrive as a family. The balancing of housework will come later I am sure. I am thankful for a gracious, patient, and helpful husband.

This is a little rambly I think, but so is my life at the moment. Although it is a good life and I am thankful to God for placing me in this very moment! I am madly in love with both Claire and Jacob and as always my sweet husband.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Sara said...

I know you're doing a great job and that things are just going to keep getting better and better! I can't believe it's been almost two weeks already. Can't wait to see you all SOON!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

It sounds like you're doing great ... the balance comes more and more every day (and some days not at all). :) Loved seeing you yesterday ... you looked happy and that baby is a doll!

In His Grip said...

Emily, You are going to do great. I am so proud of you already. I can't wait to meet your little man.

Jenny said...

Oh, I remember the summer of 04- same exact struggles. Sounds like you are doing what we all did to survive! It totally does get easier in terms of being more balanced.
You are doing great... even if you think you're not!
And, FYI... when baby 2 came along that's when I convinced Steve we MUST get a house cleaner (even if for a short amount of time) ;-)

Elizabeth said...

Emily - you are a sweet mama! Like everyone says, it will get easier (or maybe it's you get better at juggling two?). Hang in there girly!

Mama Jeannie said...

Em, you are a wonderful mama cuddling two instead of one. I am completely confident that you will find that balance you long for and the things that need to be done to keep you from becoming overwhelmed with the practical things of life will be figured out one day at a time. God bless you bunches today!