Monday, August 4, 2008

Savannah

*** I do have a few pictures to load, bu for some reason blogger is not letting me. I will share them as soon as I can.
I am so thankful that Allan and I had the opportunity to go on this trip! We had a really fun time it, it was an adventure from the moment it began. We had a hard time getting the trip started due to some snafus at the airport, but once we were on our way I felt the sadness start to ebb a little when I thought about being gone from my baby girl for four days (one of them being her actual birthday).

We spent the first day traveling, running late to the wedding rehearsal, beginning to find our way around town, and eating at Lady and Sons (Paula Deen's resteraunt). I have to take a moment and say that the food that woman creates is nothing short of magical. I was in HEAVEN!!! After the rehearsal things got a little interesting for me. I was taken out of my comfort zone when the bride announced that she had never had a bachelorette party and that I was coming with her and the bridesmaids for a night out on the town. Please keep in mind that I had never met any of these people and that is not a scenario I am too comfortable with. All turned out well, there were rounds of drinks bought, karaoke sung, the bride was handcuffed by a very generous cop (it was just for a photo op and he used the clean handcuffs), and then we met up with all the guys at an Irish pub which had a fantastic musician playing and then finished the night off with a little more karaoke "Living on a Prayer".

I slept a lot if Friday while Allan was out golfing with the groom. Allan and I met up for lunch at a fantastic cafe adn then it was time to head out for the wedding on Tybee Island. I was on my own again for a few hours so I browsed a few junk shops and then read my book at the beach until the wedding party arrived. The wedding was simple and sweet. The reception was very unique. We danced a lot, made some weekend friends, and finished the night off with yet another group sing along of 80's music before the bride and groom headed off for their honeymoon.

Saturday was mine and Allan's only full day to be touristy and we made the most out of it. We walked down Broughton Street and found a great little bakery for breakfast. Savannah is HOT just in case you were wondering. By lunchtime we had sweated though our clothes so we went back to the hotel and swam for a bit got re ready and headed over to rent scooters for the afternoon. We LOVED the scooters. We were able to see everything we wanted to in about three and a half hours and there is a lot to see in savannah. I am pretty sure I have never been anywhere with so much history in sucha small area. Our FAVORITE thing about this city was the squares that were every few blocks. They are georgeous. The old houses and spanish moss in the trees added a little something special to the scenery. You should all go visit this city (just not in the summer). After a quick stop at the Soda Pop Shop downtown where we had a fun talk with the owner who was born and raised there we sadly turned our scooters in and headed out for some BBQ and saw the new Batman.


Sunday we were up early and heading back to the airport. I was REALLY ready to be home with my baby girl, even though I had a great time just hanging out with my hubby. Our flights went smoothly and the reunion with our daughter was better than I could have hoped for.


4 comments:

krista said...

mmmmmm...lady and sons sounds amazing. i just looked at the menu on the website (what can i say, i love food!) what did you eat?? the menu looks so yummy!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'm so glad you had fun ... and that you made it to Lady & Sons! I love the squares in Savannah too ... it's such a picturesque little place.

Mama Jeannie said...

Now I wanna go there. Thanks for the great description of all the fun and interesting things you did, saw, and tasted. I had thought when I talked to you that it was just windy and very hot, so I'm glad to know you were able to overcome and discover all the many wonderful things available to experience in Savannah, GA.

Sara said...

I'm so glad that you and Bil got to get away for a weekend. I know how you missed Claire! It just about killed me to think about being away from Asher for that amount of time this past weekend - but it ended up being so refreshing to not have a little tyke to keep up with! =) LYLAS!