I have to document the conversation that just took place between me and my little rugrat. Let me set the scene first...
Last week I made the decision that I was not going to force naptime with Claire anymore. It had turned into a major battle everyday with lots of spanking, raised voices (from both Claire and myself), and tears (mainly from me). I have started having her just do room time every afternoon and a few times she has fallen asleep in there which is a nice perk. She occasionally runs to the playroom and grabs a toy then runs back to her room which is totally fine with me as long as she is upstairs and I am getting a break. There have been a few times that I had to remind her of the rules- no coming downstairs until I come get her and no playing in Jacob's room. I even bought a child lock for the doors leading into his room to deter her from destroying his room. OK, so now you are all caught up, today was no different from other days I took her upstairs, read her a few books, and left her upstairs for room time. I headed downstairs cuddled up with Jacob and dosed off. I woke up to my front door opening...not cool!
Me: Claire what are you doing?!?!?
Claire: Looking to see if there is a present for me outside.
M: There are no presents outside and you are NEVER allowed to open the front door!!! It is very dangerous Claire, never go outside without Mommy or Daddy. Do you understand me?!?
C: Oh, ok.
M: Go back upstairs into your room and shut the door. Do NOT come out of your room again!
C: Ok
She walked upstairs as if nothing big had happened. I on the other hand was kicking myself for leaving the front door unlocked. A few minutes later I heard a big crash in the playroom and then heard the guilty pitter patter of little feet running back towards Claire's room. I headed upstairs to find that she had dumped all of the boxes of toys out and Jacob's bedroom door was open (remember that the childproof lock was on the door...guess that didn't work) and his room was a wreck. I was a little baffled that I had not heard anything banging up there except for one crash since it looked like a tornado had gone through the entire upstairs. I walked into Claire's room where I found her giggling under her bed.
Me: Claire what have you been doing up here?
Claire: Well, I sneaked into Jacob's room and got in his bed and took out his blankets and played with his toys, but I was very quiet so you wouldn't spank me. I also went to find my little horse in the playroom and I tippy toed so you wouldn't hear me. Did you hear me mommy? I am good at sneaking. (followed up with a huge smile)
M: Claire you knew the rules and you disobeyed, now you have to have a spanking.
C: Don't spank me mommy, I pooped in my pull up you will squish it.
M: I am going to change your pull up then you get a spank.
C: Ok, but a soft spank ok mommy.
I could not respond because I didn't want to laugh
Post spank this was her response through tears..."Mommy I told you I wanted a soft spank and you did not obey. That was no very kind. You need to be nice to me."
Boy howdy do I have my hands full with this little mess. She is one of the cutest little messes I have ever been around though.

14 comments:
oh my. shes makes me laugh but i know that has to be so hard. i know i have a "little mess" on my hands and she is getting more strong willed by the day. someday you will look back and laugh and be so glad that you documented all of this :)
The only reason I am laughing right now is b/c I have been (and know I will be again) in this same position. These "little messes" are too smart for their own good. We will survive...I think! :-)
This is soooo hilariously cute. I am impressed that you were able to keep a straight face. I wouldn't have been able to!
What a mess! I certainly did not laugh when she tried to get out of the spanking by having to change the pull up!
~Elyse
Oh Claire. :)
I don't know how you followed through! I am dying right now :) She is a smart one.
OMGoodness Emily, She is giving you a run for your money. Glad to hear mine is not the only one who does that! The way their little minds work makes me crack up. So literal. I'm sure I would have had a heart attack as well if I found the front door open after a cat nap. Taking mental notes for the future :)
That post has me in tears I'm laughing so hard. Not sure how you got through that without laughing out loud! A smart one, she is!
that is too funny! it must be hard to discipline her if she says such cute things all the time. :-)
well i must say she is too cute...sounds very smart, so good luck with all this training...good job with the straight face...sounds pretty complicated with this much cuteness...
Hmmmmmm... I thought I commented but maybe I just told you how funny this was on the phone. Well, my dear girl, this is SOOOOOO FUNNY! Glad you took control, but oh my gosh! Claire is so smart... a bit manipulative at this point in her three year old life, but so smart. Hey, be encouraged Baby Doll....you get to win!
Good job on sticking to your guns on this one Em. And wowzers, I thought I was sneaky when I was little, but Claire totally has me beat! =)
i am dying, what a trip. i am having very similar afternoons and convos. i also get asked for a "wittle" spank often! oh dear. thanks for sharing, glad to know that my tot is not the only one!
Post a Comment