Monday, November 5, 2007

Exhaustion

I thought that I knew what this word meant before motherhood, but I have grown to define this word after I became a mom. In the beginning no sleep is completely do-able because it is expected. As time passes by and you have a baby that isn't a sleeper you figure out a way to survive. For me I pretty much have let everything slip except being a mom which sometimes makes life even more stressful. I just survived possibly the hardest few nights since Claire was born with almost no sleep at all. I feel sorry for her because she was feeling so horrible, but I also feel sorry for me because I NEED sleep and that is not an option when you are the sole provider of comfort for your little one. I have literally been in tears at times since Friday because I feel ill I am so tired.
I will say that we are through the worst of it and I can see the light at the end of this tunnel, but holy cow I think that my body may take weeks to recharge. We finally went to the doctor last night after three days of pretty high fever and all they saw was that she has a severe double ear infection...surprise, surprise. I also have to give a shout out to my hubby once again. He was a trooper holding my hand through most of the sleepless nights and encouraging me that I in fact was going to survive. I have a few friends who move upstairs when their baby isn't sleeping well so their husbands aren't bothered, but Allan is a man who fights in the trenches with his family and I am blessed beyond belief by him. Well I think that I will head off to napland while Claire is sawing logs. Lord willing she will sleep longer than twenty minutes today.

5 comments:

walkers said...

oh dear, i am so sorry. we have had a sick baby too and the nights are the worst. so thankful that you have such a good husband to take care of you both, a

Sarah said...

If there is ANYTHING I can do to help, PLEASE let me know. I am SOOOOO sorry you have had a rough time lately. Seriously, if there is anything I can do - come watch Claire while you sleep, cook you dinner, etc...PLEASE let me know.

Amy said...

Hang in there Sister.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I hope you can catch a lot of naps over the next few days to catch up. I know how hard that is.

Mama Jeannie said...

My sweet Baby Doll! I'm so sorry mommying is so darn hard sometimes. Doggoneit! I remember those days even though it's been many many years ago. Those kind of trials and challenges do not leave the memory... ever! However, I do think we learn perseverance and patience as we go through those dastardly hard places in life, don't you think? My compassion level sky-rockets when I hear of mothers who are living through sleepless nights and never-ending work in caring for their children. It's like hiking up a steep mountain and running out of energy; yet you must keep going no matter what. Lord have mercy! Sleep does become a treasure, doesn't it? Em, if there was any way at all that I could quit working; I'd be up there in a New York minute to do laundry, vaccuum, dust, and play with Claire while you slept. I pray that this really is the end of this sleeplessness and that as Claire heals; her sleep habits and need for continual comfort from you will subside. I pray peace will rule in your home no matter the circumstances and that God would supernaturally give you the energy you need to keep going. Praise God you have a sweet husband who blesses you constantly with an outstanding servant heart. We could all learn lessons about going the extra mile from his life, couldn't we? I love you both and want you to know again that I think you are amazing parents to little Claire Bear.