Thursday, November 29, 2007

Playgroup = Sanity

Claire and I are a part of two playgroups. They are both very unique.

One is made up of four first time moms, we all have daughters and the age range is ten months- twenty months. We are all just trying to figure it all out and we are desperate for adult companionship. We spend most of our time together having conversations about how to get our babies to sleep through the night, how to get our kids to eat and what we feed them, how to be a wife AND mother all at the same time, you get the picture. We are in total awe of our babies and celebrate with each other over things like first words, first steps, etc. This parenting thing is new, exciting, overwhelming, frustrating, funny, and all that good stuff. Although we only see each other every other week I would say that the moms in this group are my good friends and I am truly thankful for them and all they bring to my life. We were all a bunch of random girls who knew one girl and she brought us together, thank you Sarah.

The second playgroup came together by chance. This group is made up of seasoned moms and me. In all honesty the only reason I am a part of the group is because my sister, Amy, kind of headed it up and had to invite me, but I could not be more thankful for this opportunity to be around women that have been through this parenting thing a time or two before. I am loving getting to know these women a little better each time we all get together. I think that soon I will be able to call them good friends as well. We all met up today and I really enjoyed myself. They are funny and genuine and they have shown me that there is life after surviving the first year of motherhood.

It is funny the difference in the groups, the conversations are usually so different. I mean in my first time moms group we all tend to hover over our babies and in the seasoned moms group we just let the kids play in the backyard alone (granted there are a nine and ten year old there to help out- thank you Kennedy and Elijah). I think that being a part of both groups will help me become a little more balanced, Lord knows I could use it. Knowing that ever week or two I get to hang out with other moms while Claire plays with her friends is such a sanity saver for me. I tend to get a little stir crazy if Claire and I hang out at the house too many days in a row. I wouldn't trade either group and I am thankful for the unique opportunity I have to get to know such great women.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Amen on the sanity-saving ability of a playgroup!