Claire saw her first birth today on TV. We watched Birth Day and it was amazing to watch it through Claire's eyes. She asked some pretty good questions for a two and a half year old:
"Why is the mommy sad?" (when she was making a little noise while pushing)
"What is on her mouth?" (she was wearing an oxygen mask)
Then it was time for the baby to come out and there were some complications the baby wasn't breathing and turned purple and they cut the cord:
"Why is the tiny baby purple?"
"Oh no, they clipped the baby!"; "I don't want the baby clipped, so sad."; "The baby has an injury" (cutting the cord was the only thing that kind of freaked her out)
I got to explain a little bit about how the baby eats inside the mommy and how the baby will eat outside the mommy and then she was fine with it all.
My mother-in-law gave me a DVD for Christmas called The Miracle of Life and I wasn't sure if Claire would enjoy it, but now I have no doubt she will totally be into it. I am so glad that she is interested in this baby in my tummy and I am going to do everything in my power to encourage this interest during the next six months. I have no desire to have Claire in the room while I am actually having the baby, but I hope that she can be somewhat involved while I am in labor and she will definitely be in the room ASAP once he/she makes his/her grand entrance into this world.
So for those of you that have multiple kiddos, how did you get the big brother/sister involved in the pregnancy?
5 comments:
I love it that she's so into it too! You're gonna have a great big sister on your hands - and maybe a nurse or doctor one day too. =)
Hi! I just came across your blog and thought I'd leave a comment. Your family is so adorable! :)
I've actually just been blog-surfing at work today. I think I was reading 4 Little Men... and clicked on another blog Following Him... that lead me to yours.
I vaguely remember when I was two and my mom was pregnant with Stephanie. I was jealous at first of the attention she got but it wore off and I loved her right away. I'm sure your little girl will love her younger sibling the same.
Em it sounds like you are doing a great job of helping Claire understand about pregnancy and childbirth in a way where she will be excited and not afraid. Way to go! Back in the day... I would look at books with my toddlers; beautiful books with photographs of the developing child within the womb and show you interesting drawings of how the baby would be born. Unfortunately, you came out on the short end of this since you were my last baby. I still had opportunities to explain to you the "Miracle of Life" and I loved that part of being a mommy. Children were not allowed in labor and delivery back in the 70's so your brother and sisters had to wait until we came home to see you and to hold you. Do all you girls realize how blessed you are?!!? Oh my!
Post a Comment