Thursday, October 4, 2007

How To Get It Done?

AAAAHHHHH!!!! How in the world do other moms do it? I am refering to keeping control of their rugrats and home at the same time. It is all I can do to keep Claire from hanging from the rafters, the thought of getting laundry and dishes done as well is too much. I know there is a balance out there, but I am not quite sure where it is for me. Anyway, if you have some great advice (not just fluffy words) I would be happy to hear it.

5 comments:

walkers said...

i feel the same way sometimes and my babe is not walking yet- yikes! from the beginning though I have tried to limit myself to doing one or two chores a day, ie-sweep the kitchen and finish that one load of laundry:) sometimes i get more done and im so thankful and sometimes, my house is crazy but oh well. i think it is a huge transtion to being a stay at home mom because all of a sudden your house is EVERYTHING! when you worked outside the home it was your refuge after work but now you are there all the time. having definite spots that Keller cannot have his stuff so it feels somewhat clean is important to me too.your are doing awesome, we can do it! a

Amanda said...

www.flylady.net helped me with some basic principles. Be careful when subscribing to her newsletter, or your Inbox will be inundated with e-mails. Hang in there!

Sarah said...

First of all - you are a GREAT mommy to Claire! She is so blessed to have you as her mother.

I don't have any great words of wisdom but if you figure out a solution let me know. I'm right there with ya.

(Sorry if this is fluff.)

Mama Jeannie said...

Hey Baby Doll,
I know life with a baby/toddler can get overwhelming, but you are doing a great job. Really you are, and I'm not just saying it because I'm your mom. I'll try not to get fluffy; just practical, OK? I've been where you are and I never got it all done perfectly... no one does by the way... but I did learn a few tricks to the trade along the way, usually by observing other mothers who were getting things done better than I was, yet still were able to spend time playing with and teaching their children. It is all possible and I really believe the biggest secret to successfully making a home and caring for a child/chidren is to simplify. Budget your time; even though it won't ever exactly be straight down the list, it helps to see what needs to be done written down in black and white where you can check things off. Just don't get legalistic toward yourself. Do what drives you crazy first and get it out of the way, then you don't have to think about it anymore that day/week. (cleaning bathrooms was always what I hated, so I'd do that first). Also, it really does cut down on deep cleaning when you straighten up as you go... do your hair and put up brushes, combs, blow dryer, wipe off counter, etc. right when you finish; keep cleaning products in every bathroom, kitchen so that you don't spend time running back and forth for what you forgot, especially with the stairs you have to climb. If you cook a meal, clean up as you go; finished with ingredients, measuring cups/spoons, go ahead and put them away while stuff is cooking; set a pretty table for dinner during Claire's afternoon nap; candles and flowers just for fun. It'll make you feel good and will bless Allan when he comes home and sees you invested that time and energy into making your evening with him special. When you crawl out of bed in the mornings, stretch, let Claire play on your bedroom floor while you make your bed and put up clothes that might be laying around from the day before. It takes less than five minutes when you consistently do this. Many times I don't feel like doing dishes after dinner in the evenings, so I do them while I fix breakfast. If you don't eat breakfast, do the supper dishes anyway. (keep healthy snacks handy for an added spurt of energy). Water container plants while your girl plays outside (I'm sure she'd want to help with that. ha) Try to have specific chores for specific days so that everything doesn't snowball on you all at once. Do laundry only twice a week, but get it all done, folded, and put away on those two days. When you have four kids, you'll most likely do laundry every other day, but don't let your laundry be the boss of you. If you do it on Tues. and Sat. then "just say no" on the other days... except for emergencies of course. Have housecleaning competitions with Allie and Jack. Make a game out of it dividing up rooms for dusting and give prizes for whoever gets their job done first; reward yourself too (pedicure,a visit with a good friend, call your mother, etc.) These are just a few things, but I really did learn alot and even took a time management class when we lived in Plainview. I use some of those priniciples I learned back then to this very day. Set goals, put your projected day down on paper, and take one day, one chore at a time. Also, be encouraged; you'll get better and better at this homemaker/mommy thing as you go. I think something Adrianna said that is so important is to make sure you have a place of refuge; a pretty and peaceful place within your home where you can go to put your feet up, read, pray, and just be for a few minutes through the day. It seems that your upstairs living area is kinda that for you, isn't it? So pretty with lots of light and a pretty view out all those windows. Love it! Claire can be right next to you in the play room or asleep down the hall; perfect!

Tressa said...

Everyone has said something I adhere to.
I am a momma of four and I have to constantly pray-seek God constantly for wisdom in areas I lack and Im always needing to simplify and budget my time.
But one thing I try to remember is...what is this really all about? A clean home? Laundry well kept? Noooo..it about raising four amazing children, even if that means the dishes stay dirty for a full 24 hours.
I also like flylady, I dont suscribe to her newsletter but have adopted alot of her principles.