Monday, December 10, 2007

Surviving

Today I am being a daddyless mommy which is not out of the ordinary, but this is the first time I have done it without being able to soothe my baby girl by nursing her. This morning was really hard. She did not understand why I would not feed her. I shed a few tears and endured a small beating from my daughter (I couldn't blame her, she doesn't understand, and I have to say that I don't either at this pont). We survived though and once we came out into the living room and started dancing to The Wiggles she forgot for a minute. I am BEYOND blessed to have my sister Sara here to help out today. She was able to carry Claire around a bit and get her to drink some milk which was really needed since she will not drink anything that I give her at the moment.
I just made it through the moment of the day I was most dreading...naptime. It only took me fifteen minutes to get her down for a nap. After about eight minutes of a massive fit she gave in to my cuddling, held tight to her teddy bear, and fell fast asleep in my arms. It was an answer to my prayers that naptime was not a total disaster (I needed this breakthrough today). I have to admit that I held her a little longer than I needed to because I can never get enough of watching my baby sleep. I love her deeply and know that we will in fact survive this moment in our lives together.

7 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

It really will get better ... I promise. I feel so sad for you 'cause I know that this is so hard and you're probably wondering why you're even doing it. Just keep looking to the end, and I'll be praying for you.

walkers said...

so proud of you for sticking it out and thankful that God breaks through in the nick of time. you are a fab mommy!

Amy said...

You are a wonderful mommy to Claire Bear. The thing about mommyhood that no one can prepare you for or warn you about is the extreme highs and lows that come with it. It is the absolute most wonderful thing on Earth while being the hardest work that a person can ever do. Making the right decisions for you little one will sometimes be really hard. Second guessing yourself can even be harder. Know that God has grace to cover you whether you make the right decisions or not... you are trying to do the right thing, and He will honor that. The bottom line is that you love Claire to pieces. No decision to wean or not wean her is going to changet that. Kids being frustrated with parents' decisions is part of the package.
I love you, sister.

krista said...

you're right...you will survive but in the midst of it, it's hard and frustrating i'm sure. i don't have any advice, having not reached this point in being a mommy yet, but i do know this---you are an amazing mom and strong woman and you are going to get through this too...one day at a time! hang in there!!

Sarah said...

You will get through this - I know it doesn't seem like it now but you will. You are a great mommy to Claire and no matter what, that is one thing that will always stay the same. Hang in there!!!!!!!

Mama Jeannie said...

Sweet Emily; how blessed you are to have precious girlfriends and sisters who love, encourage, and affirm you through the joys and the hard times of mothering. I love you and I am praying for you today.

Amanda said...

I'm sorry this transition is so hard for you. With time, this challenge will be easier and you'll be you'll be on to new ones. Praying...