For those of you who know me and my little family well you know that there have been times when I have been TOTALLY overwhelmed by my princesses strong will. Sometimes I am so stressed that I do not have what it takes to help shape this little girl into the person God has called her to be. Around the one year mark I really started trying out some different discipline techniques and I have not had a ton of luck. I have had to adjust my expectations for her and myself and that has helped. I am pretty much sure that spanking is not something that is going to make much of a difference with this little one, time out works sometimes. We have just entered the all out temper tantrum phase and good gravy I thought it was going to kill one of us until I read something in this book that was recommended in our small group at church. When I first bough this book I thought that she was too young for it, and in a lot of cases she is, but then I saw a few tips that I could modify for an almost two year old.
Success #1: Throwing an out of this world tantrum that even scared her daddy....
The idea in the Creative Corrections book is to send the kid outside and tell them that they are not allowed to act that way inside your house and when they can stop throwing a fit they are welcome to come back in. Obviously I am not comfortable sending my baby outside, so I have a pack n play set up in one of the guest rooms and when she seems to be possessed I tell her that she is not allowed to throw a fit like that in front of me, put her in the pack n play, and tell her that when she is all done to let me know. The longest she has ever had to stay in there was three minutes, usually she is all done in less than one. When I pick her up I make a huge deal about her being a good girl and happy and all that stuff. She gives me a high five and we are back to life as normal.
Success #2: Getting out of the basket at the store and running like a wild woman through the store...
Today I did as much shopping as I could before she started getting antsy then we went to the sticker aisle and she picked out a package to hold. I told her that IF she stayed in the basket until I paid she could have the Elmo sticker treat. It worked like a charm. Every time she would try to climb out I would remind her that I would open the stickers IF she stayed seated. Once I bought them I made a HUGE deal about giving her the stickers and how proud i was of her for having a happy heart and sitting down the WHOLE time we were in the store.
Who knows if it will work next time, but as of today I am impressed with CREATIVE CORRECTIONS!

12 comments:
That's awesome and I know it's so encouraging to have that kind of success. I really enjoy that book too!
That is GREAT! I am glad that you have found something that works and will hopefully continue working!!!
Who knows, I might have to get this book as well...tantrums are becoming a thing in our house as well.
Oh, one more thing...remind me how you did your new blog background?
That is great. I love that book too!
I love that book. Great resource for many years. Way to go Emily.
So great! You know, that's a book we don't own, but I think maybe I should pick it up. We could use some creative solutions around here...
WOW!! I think I'll put that book on my 'Gibbie list' as well. I absolutely respect James Dobson and Focus on the Family and the wisdom in child training we've found through this ministry has been helpful EVEN "way back then" when my babies were giving me fits. :0) I disagree that spanking is never a good form of discipline, but I do agree that it is not the only answer for sure.
I don't have that book! Sounds like it has some great stuff- I will put it on my list.
So glad you're finding some things that work for your family.
Way to go Em. I'll just call you if we ever get to this point! =)
I need to revisit my copy...it is a great book. That's where we got sassy spray. But I, too, have an out of this world strong willed little boy. I need all the help I can get. :-)
That sound like a great book. Thanks for the tips.
I'm in the same boat...but Clinton's still young enough I'm not sure I can reason with him just yet. However, I'll be running out to get that book very soon. Thanks for sharing!!
Post a Comment