Sunday, June 1, 2008

Missing Austin


Allan and I have been sentimental about the places we used to live recently. We decided to revisit some of our old stomping grounds yesterday. We took a flight to Austin in the morning, drove around our old neighborhood and even talked to a couple of our old neighbors. We went to eat at our favorite BBQ joint, The Green Mesquite, which was as delicious as ever. It is a total dive, but we HIGHLY recommend it to anyone traveling to Austin.
We spent a big chunk of the day at Zilker Park riding the Zilker Zephyr (a little 25 minute train ride around the park) with our friends Erinn and Baby Lucca, swinging and sliding, and chasing the birds.
We ended our day trip with a visit to the state capitol. This is a place that is significant in mine and Allan's relationship for a few reasons it is the first place he asked to hold my hand almost six years ago, we filmed our engagement video there, and when we first moved to Austin we would walk there from our apartment to get a little prenatal exercise. It is so beautiful and Claire loved the freedom of running around the grounds.
It was such a great day, we were exhausted by the time we flew home yesterday evening, but we were so glad that we made the effort to head down there.

9 comments:

Courtney said...

I miss Austin, too! I would give almost anything to move back there!

In His Grip said...

I am so impressed. We've lived here 5 years and haven't taken our kids. You have to frame the star picture. That is Texas History in the making.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

What a fun day ... don't you just love getting to fly for free? I love that you guys take advantage of it. Great photos!

Amanda said...

So fun! What a blessing to just hop on a plane for a day out. Awesome.

Amy said...

Looks like yall had a happy day.

Jenny said...

So fun! I love Austin too. Never lived there but love going to visit! And, it's much more fun to fly than drive!

Sara said...

I'm so glad y'all did that! How FUN! And REALLY cute pictures! I LOVE Claire Bear's sunglasses!!! By the way...Asher KEEPS asking for you and Joe!!! =)

sunni said...

What a great trip. I love the last picture of Claire.

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous you just get to fly somewhere for the day! What a fun trip! I can't believe how big Claire is and how stinking cute she is! What fun!