Tuesday, September 11, 2007

One Helping of Rationalization Please

I was just talking with a working mother. Let me first say that I know some moms have to work and that is fine, but it kind of grates on my nerves when they start trying to convince me (or is it that they are trying to convince themselves) that this is what is best for their child. Anyway, this mom who works a minimum forty hour week who only sees her child for MAYBE four hours a day (M-F) is leaving for four days to go on a "selfish trip" (her words not mine). I kept a very neutral disposition as she talked about the trip, but she must have started feeling a little guilty because she ended the conversation by saying "I figure that my child is going to leave me forever when she turns eighteen so I deserve to have a little me time now." Anyway, I just thought, that is an interesting way to view parenthood.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Ugh! That is annoying. I have a friend who works 40+ hours a week too. She and I went through our pregnancies together during a yoga class. Anyway, she and her hubby took a similar kind of trip for a week to Cali. I think its easier for them to leave because they are not as attached. I hope this isn't closed-minded of me to say.

Leanna said...

Ugh. Indeed. What a blessing you are to Claire. At 18 her kid might not come back, but I know Claire will be so happy to return when she's big. Way to make a happy home, Em!

Sarah said...

Wow! I can't imagine doing that. I like the ocassional date night but a trip without your baby on top of working all the time. Kind of selfish if you ask me.

Mama Jeannie said...

Lord have mercy!!! You probably don't EVEN want to hear all I could say about such a selfish and foolish viewpoint on being a mother. Praise God all of my girls (Adrielle, Amy, Sara, and Emily) are willing to count the cost of being very present and involved mothers for my grandchildren. However, I can only imagine how overwhelmed that over-the-top working mama must feel. How sad that she has come to the conclusion that getting away from her child is any part of her answer. Children are the only eternal thing we have in this life. What a responsiblity; a sometimes difficult job (that's an understatement), but with such precious and great rewards.