Holy Toledo!!! Over the last few days the topic of living simply and thinking of the bigger picture keeps being thrown in my face, especially when it comes to raising my kiddo. Here a few examples:
At our small group there was a lady that was telling me about what they did for Christmas. She has elementary age kids and they opened all their presents on Christmas Eve and then went and fed the homeless on Christmas Day. This was her daughters idea because they had also done it at Thanksgiving and had such a great time. I love that she and her husband are modeling what is really important to their children.
At church this last weekend the pastor was talking about the top seven things a man needs to be and/or do. One of the the points that stood out like a neon sign was when he said that you need to lead your family into having a purpose.
I had a very meaningful conversation with a friend of mine yesterday. She was saying that she and her husband truly desire that their kids feel thankful and about life, find pleasure in the small things, and not feel a sense of entitlement to all the stuff that bombards us daily. They have chosen to work on this from the very beginning and that meant setting boundaries for themselves as parents and boundaries for family members that may have a tendency to spoil the kiddos (even though the spoiling is totally out of love). These boundaries are thought to be too strict by the average person, the average American. I was so inspired by what she had to say.
When I got home this afternoon there was a post on another friends blog about how she wants to simplify life and wants to teach her children how to enjoy the little things like playing outside, baking cookies, things tat don't include electronics, you get the idea. This is also something that I really desire for my daughter. I do not want her to be someone that cannot figure out how to entertain herself without a television or computer.
I do not think that Allan and I purposefully spoil Claire, but I know that we have to a certain degree. I do however think that we have not discouraged the spoiling by others in her life. She is too young to realize it at the moment, but it will not be too long beofore she just expects to be given anything that she may have wished for and that is something that we would love to nip in the bud. We need to set boundaries for ourselves and for others in her life, but that will be incredibly hard and uncomfortable. I am not sure how to go about that at the moment, but we will be brainstorming where our boundaries will be placed in the very near future I am sure. We also want Claire to be someone that thinks of others. I have prayed that she would be a girl filled with joy and full of compassion since the day she was born. Boy howdy do we have our work cut out for us, but I think that this is a task that I am really looking forward to! I am both overwhelmed and overjoyed that God decided to give Allan and I the chance to help mold Claire into the woman she was vreated to be...wish us luck!
I would love to open the floor to hearing your stories of how you have simplified your life and the lives of your kiddos, how you are helping them have an OUTWARD focus, if you want to share.
4 comments:
Great post. Its SO hard to live in this culture and live simply. BUT it can be done.
One of my favorite sayings, which is painted on a wall at my church is "Live Simply, So Others Might Live."
I like to take my kids on "outreaches" It opens up an awareness of others that I couldnt expose them to with a book or at home.
We like to go to the nursing home by our house. (We have adopted a few grandparents) Or volunteer at our churchs dinner for the homeless.
More extreme, we took our kids to India during Christmas '06. My children will NEVER ever be the same. My husband and I were changed too!!
We love to bake cookies for people. This last Christmas we hosted a cookie party. My daughters and their friends made TONS of cookies. We bagged them all up, kept one baggie for each child, then gave the rest away to the people of their choice. We had so much fun making and giving!
We also support missions, which has exposed our family to alot thats going on around the world. Compassion International is a great organization to support a child. Talk about gaining perspective!!!
Thanks for opening up the floor, this is one of my passions.
We've done a lot of different things over the years, and I know they all help ... I just want that all to take hold and become a lifestyle and not an activity. Does that make sense? We've confronted family members about the spoiling issue before ... I can chat with you about it at playgroup sometime.
Yeah...That's HILARIOUS!!! Glad you fixed the type-o!!! Haha! =)
What beautiful goals for your family Emily. I love that you and Allan are on the same page in wanting to teach Claire and all your little ones to reach out to a hurting and lost world; to value others' needs more than their own. This post is awesome! Even in our 'older' years, Dad and I are trying to figure out how to enjoy life without always having to be in front of a TV or go to a movie. Surely there's so much more than that. Our difficulty comes when we get home from work and want to crash because we're tired. Lord help! I loved what your friend Tressa had to say! What an amazing choice they've made as a family to minister to the elderly, the homeless, and to go to the nations. I know those very things have been in your heart for a long time.
Post a Comment