Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Skyler Scare and Kiddo Love

This morning we were hanging out with Coby, Adrielle, and Skyler (my brother and his family). It was just a laid back morning sitting around in PJs with the plan of doing a whole lot of nothing all day. I was excited about this since we seem to have been going nonstop since we left for CA over a week ago. Allan laid down on the living room floor and then asked me if we had had the teething tablets out for Claire. He handed me a small handful of little white pills. They were not teething tablets. Adrielle came and looked at them and quickly realized that they were her dogs antiseizure pills. When Adrielle asked Skyler (her two and a half year old) if she had put any in her mouth she matter of factly said yes she ate two and so did her baby doll. We still were not sure if she was telling the truth but it is better to be safe than sorry. We went into action. Adrielle was on the phone with poison control who informed her that she needed to get to the ER as quickly as possible. We all threw on clothes and were off (Allan stayed home with Claire). We got to Baylor Grapevine and I have to say I was really impressed with how quickly she was being cared for. After a sad blood draw it was time to sit and wait. The nurse said that we would be sitting in this tiny room for six hours which none of us were too thrilled about, but you do what you have to do. Skyler continued to act normal she just stayed cuddled in my lap for a couple of hours. Thank the Lord the doctor came in about two hours into the ordeal and said that her blood work was totally clean (she must have been pretending that she took the medicine) and that with how good she was acting he didn't think that there was anything to be concerned about and sent us on our way.



Skyler and Claire hanging out after the trip to the hospital today


As I sat there and held my sweet niece I thought about how blessed I am to have such special little people in my life. I deeply love my nieces and nephews. I do not know what I would do if anything serious happened to them. As parents, aunts/uncles, grandparents, etc. we are given such a huge resposibility to care for these kiddos that God graciously placed in our lives. I am so very very grateful that this was a false alarm, but it was also a good reminder for me to make the most of the moments I get to spend with these kids and to make sure they know how very special they are to me. I think that since I became a mommy I have not done as well as I used to at being an aunt. I know that things change, but I hope that they never have to doubt how much I love them.

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Scary moment. You're right - we need to appreciate those we love. Thanks for the reminder.