Friday, September 21, 2007

Not Always As Planned

Today didn't go exactly as planned. I had made plans to have coffee with a friend and then I was off to get my hair cut and colored. I was going to get to have a mommy break for a minimum five hours and I was beyond excited about that possibility. Yesterday all the plans began to unravel; Allan called and told me that he had this big meeting come up at work and so even though today was his day off he was still going to have to go into the office for a few hours. I thought "of course the one day I was going to get a break something would come up for you". Then he said that he could be home by 9:30 and I could just move my coffee date to a little later. I was touched by his consideration, he really did want me to have a break. Before I could call my coffee friend she called me and canceled because of some medical stuff (a TOTALLY valid reason!!!). I thought "of course you had to cancel on the one day I was going to get a long break". I quickly realized how selfish I was being...I mean Allan's meeting was huge and important and I am so proud of the work he is doing for Southwest and I truly hope that my friend gets to feeling better even more than I wanted to have coffee. Well, Allan didn't get home until 10:40 and my hair appointment was at 11. His meeting ran long and I was back to my bad attitude for a little while, but about half way through my hair appointment I decided that I am a spoiled brat and I need to get over myself (again). I mean I have one of the greatest husbands of all time. He was willing to spend at least a portion of his day off being Mr. Mom and he is always gracious when I get into my "poor me" attitude. So the rest of my day got better and better even though it was not the day I thought I was going to have. When I got home Allan had put Claire down for a nap (that was a first- woohoo!) and so we folded and put away laundry, and after Claire woke up we headed out for lunch, and then we were off to the gym. I realized (again) that life is better when I am sharing it with my husband and daughter. Even though I was really looking forward to a day away, once I got over my pitty party the time I shared with Allan and Claire were better than any cup of coffee I could have had.

1 comment:

Mama Jeannie said...

I love it Em. You are so real and your transparency speaks to the hearts of all women I believe. So many times I have gone through the same exact scenario with wanting my own way; NEEEEEDING my own way! ha-ha You are real and honest with a repentative heart and the love of God inside you is bigger than life. I love that about my girls. I love you. Mama